Linda Bouley's Reviews > The Shoemaker's Wife

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: family-relationships, historical-background, relationships, immigrants, love-story, personal-journey
Read from June 18 to 23, 2012

I love Adriana Trigiani's style of writing - it's lovely and lyrical, always drawing me forward. She is wonderful at creating characters like Ciro and Enza and their extended circle of family and friends. We can picture these two as young children in their alpine, Italian villages and we know them intimately as they arrive in America at the turn of the century and make their way as immigrants working very hard to better themselves. The storyline is interesting - they meet briefly when Ciro is called to another nearby village to bury Enza's 5 year old sister - their connection is almost instant - but, circumstances lead them in different directions. The next time they meet Enza is in the hospital, ill from her voyage to America and Ciro has cut his hand while apprenticing for a shoemaker. Again fate pulls them apart and they meet next at the opera where Enza is a seamstress and Ciro is part of the audience of soldiers going off to WWI. Finally, just as Enza is about to marry a glitzy opera PR man; Ciro, who has just come back from the war, shows up at the church begs her to marry him instead. The events of their lives are sweeping and sometimes it just feels as though too much happens and not enough is known; however, the star of the book is their deep love for each other and how it manifests in their lives. The end rushes through too many happenings and as a result that last couple of chapters feel like epilogues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shoemaker's Wife.