Kimberly's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith

Sep 30, 12

bookshelves: book-club-books
Read from May 02 to 13, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was not at all what I was expecting. Since this was a book club pick I didn’t read the synopsis at all (this method usually works in my favor) and I was surprised by the beginning of the book and the style of writing. I assumed (and yes, I know what they say about assuming) that the book would be the history of Abraham Lincoln with vampires told either first or third person. Instead Seth Grahame-Smith is a “character” in the book who is given Lincoln’s journals and is writing his true story. So what you have is his writing about what happened to Lincoln with Lincoln’s journal entries interspersed throughout. I felt a little misled, and that definitely affects my feelings on the book. It was done Blair Witch style as a “true story.”

As far as my knowledge the book matches up with the known facts about Lincoln (excluding the Vampire parts of course). It was nice to see that Grahame-Smith stayed “true” to history. I liked how the vampires were woven into the story, rather than having them overtake it.

I liked the second half of the book better than the first. The first half was dedicated to Lincoln’s childhood and I just didn’t find it as interesting as the second half which was dedicated to his presidency and the war. Henry was probably may favorite character aside from Lincoln. He had a unique perspective on the situation.

I thought the book was kind of boring and felt very non-fiction like to me (which I find funny because I read a non-fiction Lincoln book several months ago that felt like fiction). I was disappointed that the book wasn’t funnier. I’ve heard from several people that Pride, Prejudice and Zombies was hilarious so I was expecting a lot of humor and it just wasn’t there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.

05/09/2012 page 50
05/13/2012 page 115
45.0% "I'm a little disappointed so far. It's not a bad book but it's not really what I was expecting."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah What's the title of the non-fiction Lincoln book? Was it good?