Amy's Reviews > Ghosts by Gaslight

Ghosts by Gaslight by Jack Dann

May 02, 2012

Read from May 02 to 12, 2012

This book rocked my world!

(Full disclosure: even though I really liked this book, I would have like to have taken off half a star because there was one f-word in the book.)

This is one of the most creative ghost story books I have read in a long time. Have I been missing some? I have a hard time finding books of short stories in my library, they aren't shelved together, so there might be others that I've missed. This collection was amazing. Every story was creative, I could rarely see where the story was going, and even if I could start to guess, the settings and plots were so rich, I didn't mind.

Each of the stories had a Victorian or early twentieth century world that I found completely engrossing. I was transported to a mysterious Victorian fantasy that never existed, but it was so exciting to think, "What if?" I am on the verge of becoming a convert to steam punk.

Arthur C. Clark is quoted as saying, "Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic." As a former engineer, I feel a kinship with those early pioneers in electricity and the machine age. And then this book takes it to the next level. When they play with technology that they may or may not understand, maybe they'll stumble across something supernatural, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghosts by Gaslight.