Yvonne's Reviews > Thinking, Fast and Slow

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

May 02, 12

bookshelves: social-science
Read in April, 2012

The concepts and insights in Thinking Fast and Slow deserve five stars. The reasons I have given it three is the difficulty of reading the unfamiliar language of statistics.It rich in the details of experiments and analysis the results of which are often surprising. He supports the thesis that humans think they have more freedom to act than actually do. Only by becoming aware of the fallacious thinking patterns and biases is it possible to even hope to overcome them and change our behavior for the better.

These biases and fallacies include hindsight bias and confirmation bias. I was most interested in the hidden bias of a first impression. If a person hears or reads a statement and immediately recognizes it as false it has no impact on thinking. On the other hand if it is not immediately recognized as false, but is later proven to be so, that first impression of truth will remain and continue to be an influence.

I'm not sure everything he describes is attributed to what he says they are, but it was worth reading and thinking about. I learned much about things of real importance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking, Fast and Slow.