Manny's Reviews > Mission of Gravity

May 02, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: science-fiction, science, parody-homage
Read in October, 1975

- Hello, this is Mesklin Advance calling Earth, do you read me?

- Coming in loud and clear, MA! So what's up?

- Well, we've got a little problem here now we've reached the transition point to the polar zone. Our boats -

- Ah, let me see, is their cross-section an arc of a circle subtending an angle of 3π/2?

- That's right, how did you guess?

- And you're floating on a sea of an ideal fluid with density ρ?

- Correct!

- And the velocity of the boat is v, where v is given by...

- Oh, wait, I just found it in the instructions. It says the answer is given in Chapter 4, exercise 6. Sorry.

- No problem. These things happen. Anything else?

- Yeah... what sexual positions work best at two hundred times Earth gravity?

- What was that? You're breaking up.

- Ah, nothing. Just my little joke about 50s hard-science SF. Well, I'm sure I'll be back soon with another physics problem...

- Any time!

- Thanks! Over and out.

- Over and out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mission of Gravity.

08/05/2016 marked as: read

Robert Why the dug-out canoe sinks might actually be more conceptually difficult than why the Mesklinites think they're living in a bowl.

message 2: by Miriam (new)

Miriam This review reminds me that I wanted to ask if either of you had read any good books on Quantum Chromodynamics?

Robert Miriam wrote: "This review reminds me that I wanted to ask if either of you had read any good books on Quantum Chromodynamics?"

What sort of treatment are you after?

Two things spring to mind for the non-mathematical interested party:

QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter which gives an insight into how "path integrals" work and how that relates to QCD.

The Quantum Universe or possibly it's 2nd edition successor which I haven't read. This gives a great qualititive overview of QM in general, including QCD. Also has fabulous pictures.

Manny Robert wrote: "Why the dug-out canoe sinks might actually be more conceptually difficult than why the Mesklinites think they're living in a bowl."

I can't actually remember the explanation! I must review Chapter 4, exercise 6...

Manny Miriam wrote: "This review reminds me that I wanted to ask if either of you had read any good books on Quantum Chromodynamics?"

I thought The Theory of Almost Everything was very nice... Lotz also read it recently and shares my high opinion of it.

message 6: by Miriam (last edited Aug 25, 2015 09:33AM) (new)

Miriam Robert wrote: "Miriam wrote: "This review reminds me that I wanted to ask if either of you had read any good books on Quantum Chromodynamics?"

What sort of treatment are you after?"

No idea, really. My cousin's doctors found another cancer mass in his throat so he'll be having his thyroid removed and more radiation, and I'm out of physics conversation. This is the subject he said he was reading on next.

I'll check those books out, thanks.

Robert Miriam wrote: "Robert wrote: "Miriam wrote: "This review reminds me that I wanted to ask if either of you had read any good books on Quantum Chromodynamics?"

What sort of treatment are you after?"

No idea, real..."

Sorry to hear this.

message 8: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Thanks, Robert. He's pretty bummed. At least he's still able to read. My aunt and uncle who had radiation and chemo both said they were too tired to really do anything during that period.

Manny I'm sorry about your cousin, Miriam. And very impressed that he wants to discuss physics! Have I already recommended Weyl's Symmetry? Nothing to do with QCD, but it's a gorgeous science book that can be appreciated by both scientists and non-scientists...

message 10: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I've heard of that book, but I don't recall where. Looks appealing to the eye in the manner of Art Forms in Nature.

I'm pretty busy for the next couple months but will pick up The Quantum Universe after that, thanks.