Jessica's Reviews > The Forgotten Garden

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

May 11, 12

bookshelves: novels
Read in May, 2012

I wavered between three and four stars here. In the four-star column, we have a very readable and somewhat suspenseful story about a young girl who travels alone on a ship from England to Australia and is adopted. When she dies, her granddaughter, Cassandra; receives the deed to a cottage in Cornwall and travels to England to learn more about her grandmother's past. The story travels back and forth in time and the author deftly ties nearly every loose thread by the end of the tale.

One of the central characters is a woman who writes fairy tales and Morton includes some of the tales as allegories. I can see why some readers would love this; I found it annoyingly precious much of the time.

In the three-star column, the author uses too many coincidences. I appreciated how she drops random details and then returns to them later--watch for the broken doll--but everything just falls into place as Cassandra tries to solve the mystery of her grandmother's early childhood. Also, Morton writes with too many words, especially adjectives, and she overtells. Nothing is subtly hinted in this book.

I recommend this if you want a quick and somewhat romantic read and it certainly had me turning pages at the end, but Kate Atkinson's "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" is a more tightly written and suspenseful tale of family secrets.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Garden.

Julie Such a lovely book. I hope you are enjoying this!

Jessica I like it so far. It is our book club read and many of the other women have read Morton, but this is the first time I'd read one of her books.