Jennifer's Reviews > Unaccustomed Earth

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri

Nov 24, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Read in November, 2008

Thank you, Jhumpa, for writing a short story that actually tells a story. I struggle with this genre in genre because so many times a short story gives me a glimpse into a character's life and then ends just when I'm getting interested. I usually walk away thinking that I just didn't "get" what the author was trying to say because I feel that the story is unfinished. Unaccustomed Earth left me with a more complete picture of something being different, resolved, evolved in the characters lives at the end of the story. Choices have been made and they are going to live with those choices once I've moved on to the next story.

Lahiri is a wonderful writer and quickly pulls you into the lives of these characters. Most of the main characters are Bengali Americans whose parents moved here before they were born or when they were young so that each generation has a different perspective and a different struggle assimilating the two cultures. But I found these conflicts easy to relate to as they are very similar to any teenager's struggle to gain independence or any adult making choices that do not match their parent's dreams for them. The Bengali aspect just puts a bit of flavor on the universal problems of becoming an adult and the parent/child relationship that continues throughout that "child's" adulthood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unaccustomed Earth.