Tonileg's Reviews > First Lady

First Lady by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

May 25, 12

bookshelves: funny-ha-ha, romance, series
Read from May 22 to 25, 2012

I'm not convinced that it would be terribly difficult for someone part of the first family to run away for some peace. Although I am convinced that it would be terribly dangerous for that person because there is so many bad folks out in the world that will take advantage.
Cornelia Litchfield Case is the perfect first lady. But when the president is tragically assassinated, she is ready to walk away from the lime light to finally find herself some peace and quiet. Unfortunately, her father and the new President was different plans for her. She is going to stay First lady because their isn't anyone else and the new President is a widower. She goes along with this plan for about six months and then runs away. But the very first day shows her how unprepared she is to take care of herself in the 'real' world.
I was shocked that a widow could get over her husband in six months and start to fancy another man (even a hot man like Mat) but it is much more clear when the truth about her marriage comes out on her second night with the crazy road tripping group. I guess she had a short one-sided love affair and then had almost 4 years to grieve her marriage even before the assassination. Otherwise, I would have been brutally opposed to any funny business or a long lasting love relationship so quickly after a divorce or death.
This wasn't as funny as the other SEP books that I've read. This has the usual absurd and quick banter, but there is so much grief and sadness in the characters on the road trip, that it never gets really 'fun'. I'm going to take a break from SEP books because they don't seem as LOL as Natural Born Charmer which was one of my first books to read. I don't read series in order, but I never felt that SEP books have to be read in order as they stand on their own.
There wasn't a lot of sexy scenes and for the most part I would call this a 'clean' read but not quite YA because there is some sexy scene description. I'm not sure why this is part of the Wynette Texas series because you don't meet any of the folks from the other books and they never go to Texas?
376 pages in the paperback version that I bought on line.
2 and a half stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Lady.