Jennifer's Reviews > Tigerheart

Sep 07, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Recommended to Jennifer by: Books on the Nightstand
Read in September, 2008

This book is a retelling of the Peter Pan story but from the point of view of Paul Dear - a young boy who goes to Anyplace to find a new baby sister for his broken hearted mother.

The narrator (and the reader for that matter) stands outside of the story and makes comments throughout to continually make his presence known. Its a device that gives the reader insight but it also takes you outside the story, reminding you that this is a fairy tale. While the narrator is often humorous, I am still undecided if his interjecting voice enhanced or detracted from the flow of the story.

Reading the reviews of this book on goodreads I am surprised that my 3 stars seems to be below average. One of the reasons I didn't go higher was that, while I did enjoy the story when I was reading it, I found that if I put the book down I had no interest in going back to it. I wasn't connected to any of the characters the way I get in a novel I love. This story felt remote to me and more like a bedtime story about people and places very far away rather than a story about people I might know and become invested in. I wound up reading the last 2/3rds of it in one sitting because I was afraid if I didn't I wouldn't go back.

I should have realized I was in for something different when I saw that Billy Mumy from Lost in Space gives his endorsement on the front jacket flap. I suspect that Will Robinson and I do not have the same taste in reading material...
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tigerheart.