Wigs's Reviews > Deadline

4719641
May 17, 12

bookshelves: book-clubs-and-buddy-reads
Read from May 01 to 17, 2012

I don't think I'll be writing a real review for this one since anything I could say would probably spoil Feed, the first book, for anyone.

I have to say this. I enjoyed it better than Feed. Where Feed is focused on journalism and politics, Deadline is focused on virology and secret missions. In both books, zombies are more background information then story points. There aren't really that many zombies to be seen. A few, but as you saw in Feed that isn't really the point.

I'm not sure how to communicate this, but while Feed felt sort of black & white, sort of colorless to me, Deadline felt more vibrant with color. Miniature bulldogs and storm clouds and zombie tarantulas and all.

There are some things I didn't like, for example I think the relationship of George and Shaun got a bit tiring to say the least, but in the end I thought the scenes happening in the book made up for the kind of weird, unrelatable character points.

It was an enjoyable follow up. Maybe Feed and Deadline both deserve about 3.5's, but I'm willing to give them 4 stars to round up for Goodreads.

Oh and as always: Coke, Coke, Coke.

Please. We get it. No more Coke.

I read the excerpt to Blackout, book 3, at the end and it officially mentioned Coke 6 times. Really? The preview chapter?

In-book-advertising seriously must exist now. There's no way that's not what this is.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.

05/09/2012 page 63
05/12/2012 page 121
21.0% "And here begins the bodycount..." 3 comments
05/16/2012 page 503
87.0% "Well shittttttttt..."
05/16/2012 page 553
95.0% 2 comments
show 5 hidden updates…

Stephanie LGW Maybe her books are sponsored by Coca-Cola? At least she didn't do the "let's get the directions from our Ford Focus GPS system" like they've been doing on just about every Fox show. =)

message 2: by Mia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mia I liked Feed better than this one I think, but seriously... COKE COKE COKE COKE COKE COKE COKE.

Tria FWIW, they're not - late as this comment is. Some of Seanan/Mira's main characters are so caffeine-addicted it's slightly worrying - it's not just George. (And I love her works for the most part, but I admit the tendency to give female main characters male diminutives of their names is getting annoying - George for Georgia, Toby for October, Henry for Henrietta...)