Andrea's Reviews > Once

Once by Anna Carey

Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: young-adult-dystopian
Read in June, 2012

I don't even know how to write this review. I guess I could start by saying that I stayed up until 3am reading ONCE. And I'm exhausted from lack of sleep, but I have no regrets. There was no way that I could possibly stop reading until I finished. ONCE was that wonderful.

What can I say about ONCE without spoiling it? I honestly feel like nothing. But I'll try. Luckily the blurb does a lot to help me out, because it pretty much lays out the story. ONCE picks up three months after Caleb leaves Eve at Califia. Eve is managing, but her moments are spent wishing for Caleb, to simply be with him again, even if it means living in the wild. As it turns out, no matter where Eve ends up, she's always trapped. After ending up in the City of Sand, Eve is dealt the king of all shockers, spinning her into a whole new orbit. Determined to fight for her own future, Caleb's future, the future of all New Americans, Eve's sense of loyalty, love, and sacrifice are put to the ultimate test.

Many times, middle books in a series are a letdown, a filler. That is not the case in ONCE. This story had so much packed into the pages. The dramatic revelations were shocking. I seriously didn't see any of it coming. The action was intense. Eve is a continual force, never halting her search for an escape. What got me most of all was the love story. Sadly, Caleb and Eve are separated for most of the story, but he is always in her thoughts. When the are together, it is absolutely magical. I literally held my heart while reading several particularly beautiful moments. They were subtle, and breathtaking.

After finishing ONCE I had one single thought: My heart hurts. I won't say the ending was cruel. In fact, as far as cliffhangers go, it was quite brilliant. I am already counting down the days until April 2, 2013, the day book three, RISE, releases.

Favorite Quote:

"I was convinced we would return to one another - it was only the how and when that had yet to be decided." (pg 56, ARC)

"I'd spent so many years preparing for this moment, just so I could steel myself against it. But it didn't feel like that. Not now - not with Caleb. He was asking for permission, his face mirroring all the nervousness I felt. I want to be closer to you, he seemed to say, as he bit down on his bottom lip. Will you let me?" (pg 183-4, ARC)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once.

06/27/2012 page 91
06/27/2012 page 200
63.0% "This is so intense."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karen I loved the first one. I have this one reserved at the library so hopefully I'll get it the day it's released or shortly after.

Andrea I'm on Ch3 and so far its really good!

Stephanie Wasn't it devastating? But seriously, I loved book two.

Andrea Devastating is right. How will we make it until book three??

Stephanie Andrea wrote: "Devastating is right. How will we make it until book three??"

I have no idea!