Ryn's Reviews > Gossip Girl

F_50x66
May 01, 12

bookshelves: ya, young-adult
Read in May, 2012

I have very low standards of entertainment and it was popular so I assumed there had to be something remotely interesting about this book. I have seen a few episodes of the show and I liked them, and I thought maybe the books would be better.

Boy, I couldn't have been more wrong. I barely got through this book and it was terrible. The writing was poor, the overindulgence in brand names was irritating, and the supposedly interesting gossip site just made me snooze. Nate was nothing more than a cardboard cut out that everyone seemed to like for no reason except that he was attractive, Chuck was a slimeball that no one called out for his creepy tendencies, Blair is just the dumpy skidekick, Vanessa and Dan are stereotyped artsy kids, and Serena would have been sympathetic to me if she hadn't been described as completely and utterly perfect.

The glamorization of the sex, alcohol, and drugs was completely unrealistic. If these kids smoked up, drank, and had sex that much in real life they wouldn't ever turn into "successful" adults as they would be washed up from their vices.

Don't pick this book up. It is tedious, completely unrealistic, and everything about the writing falls flat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gossip Girl.