Brenda's Reviews > Harriet Beamer Takes the Bus

Harriet Beamer Takes the Bus by Joyce Magnin

May 01, 12

Read in April, 2012

When seventy-two year old Harriet Beamer falls off of a kitchen chair, she bets her daughter-in-law that her ankle isn't broken. The bet is that if the ankle is broken she will sell her home in PA and that she and her dog Humphrey will move to California to live with them, and if it isn't broken she gets to keep her home. Well turns out she looses the bet and must move to California. While packing her things she realizes that she has only taken one trip in her life and decides that instead of flying she is going to travel cross county by bus ( or public transportation) so that she can do a bit of sight seeing. So she puts Humphrey on a plane and decides to embark on her journey cross country. What will Harriet learn as she travels cross country? Read this wonderful book and find out!

I loved Harriet Beamer! She was such a great character who was very together and knew what she wanted to do. While it pained her to sell the home that she shared with her husband she moves on with grace. She was such an easy to relate to person.The journey that she decides to take allows her to connect with people she would never have normally encountered. As we travel along with Harriet we also get glimpses of what's going on in California with her son Henry and his wife Prudence, who are taking care of Humphrey. Overall, while I knew the ultimate destination that Harriet plans to reach, its the many stops along the way that make this book such a worthwhile read.I always enjoy when pets are a part of any story and with this one we have Humphrey, Harriet's Basset Hound and Sandra Day her daughter-in-laws cat. I loved my trip cross country with Harriet and would love to see more from this character. Highly recommended for anyone who wants a few laughs but also a few serious moments as well!
A complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harriet Beamer Takes the Bus.