Nadia's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

May 08, 12

bookshelves: 4-stars
Read from May 05 to 08, 2012 — I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Quotes Nadia Liked

Veronica Roth
“We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.”

Veronica Roth
“No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.”

Veronica Roth
“It reminds me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free.”

Veronica Roth
“Cruelty does not make a person dishonest, the same way bravery does not make a person kind.”

Veronica Roth
“The truth has a way of changing people's plans.”

Veronica Roth
“We're all right, you know,' he says quietly. 'You and me. Okay?' My chest aches, and I nod. 'Nothing else is all right.' His whisper tickles my cheek. 'But we are.”

Veronica Roth
“I read somewhere, one, that crying defies scientific explanation. Tears are only meant to lubricate the eyes. There is no real reason for tear glands to overproduce tears at the behest of emotion.
I think we cry to release the animal parts of us without losing our humanity. Because inside of me is a beast that snarls, and growls, and strains toward freedom, toward Tobias, and, above all, towards life. And as hard as I try, I cannot kill it.”

Veronica Roth
“May the peace of God be with you," she says, her voice low, "even in the midst of trouble."
"Why would it?" I say softly, so no one else can hear. "After all I've done..."
"It isn't about you," she says. "It is a gift. You cannot earn it, or it ceases to be a gift.”

Veronica Roth
“Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.”

Veronica Roth
“Got that gun?” Peter says to Tobias. “No,” says Tobias, “I figured I would shoot the bullets out of my nostrils, so I left it upstairs.”

Veronica Roth
“People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them.”

Veronica Roth
“Sometimes,” he says, sliding his arm across my shoulders, “people just want to be happy, even if it’s not real.”

Veronica Roth
“I’m not important. Everyone will do just fine without me,” I say.
“Who cares about everyone? What about me?”

Veronica Roth
“I’ll be your family now,” he says.
“I love you,” I say.
I said that once, before I went to Erudite headquarters, but he was asleep then. I don’t know why I didn’t say it when he could hear it. Maybe I was afraid to trust him with something so personal as my devotion. Or afraid that I did not know what it was to love someone. But now I think the scary thing was not saying it before it was almost too late. Not saying it before it was almost too late for me.
I am his, and he is mine, and it has been that way all along.
He stares at me. I wait with my hands clutching his arms for stability as he considers his response.
He frowns at me. “Say it again.”
“Tobias,” I say, “I love you.”
His skin is slippery with water and he smells like sweat and my shirt sticks to his arms when he slides them around me. He presses his face to my neck and kisses me right above the collarbone, kisses my cheek, kisses my lips.
“I love you, too,” he says.”

Veronica Roth
“I pout my lower lip for a second, but then I grin as the pieces come together.
"That's why you like me!" I exclaim. "Because you're not very nice either! It makes so much more sense now.”

Veronica Roth
“I am his, and he is mine, and it has been that way all along.”

05/07/2012 page 268