Kristin (KC)'s Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Oct 11, 14

bookshelves: re-readable, new-adult-ya, bad-boys, intense

I definitely had a hard time putting this book down! The characters were very well fleshed out and I was quick to build up a fondness for them. The story was able to maintain its intensity throughout its entirety. I can see why some readers feel as though Travis' character was too violent, and at times, it did get overwhelming — but I feel as long as readers understand that this is a work of fiction and not a guide on how to find violence attractive, there should be no permenant damage. I also feel it's unfair to judge a book by whether or not its occurrences are considered to be "moral". There are plenty of books as well as movies that display the harsh realities of life while making no claims to condone or promote erratic behavior. These are the books I tend to gravitate towards because I can appreciate an authentically flawed character and/or situation. That being said...

Beautiful Disaster is about a young couple's intense struggle to be together while everything and everyone threatens to pull them apart. Travis suffers anger/temper issues stemming from early childhood tragedy, while Abby battles her own demons passed down to her through her mostly-absentee father. Abby initially wants nothing to do with Travis, making him want her even more. A friendship is slowly formed, and soon, their feelings for one another ignite.

Theirs is clearly a roller-coaster of a relationship that, at some points, became utterly exhausting! Travis is extreme; he loves with the same amount of intensity with which he fights. There are certain parts that may seem a bit far-fetched; but again, it's fiction. However, in many ways ... it felt profoundly all too real. Jealousy, insecurity, anger, possessiveness — these are all emotions that, unfortunately, a lot of real-life relationships struggle with. It isn't pretty when it's brought to light, but it's real. For this reason, I can appreciate this book. Definitely a good read for me!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Book Stats:
▪ Genre/Category: Romance/New Adult
▪ Steam Caliber: Very steamy!
▪ Romance: Intense and angsty, but passionate.
▪ Characters: Bad-boy, possessive hero with some anger issues. Good girl with a broken past.
▪ Plot: Saturated with angst. Focused on the dramatic ups and downs of young love.
▪ Writing: Engaging, addictive, and expressive.
▪ POV: 1st Person: Heroine
▪ Cliffhanger: None
▪ Next Installment: Travis' perspective
▪ HEA? (view spoiler)

107 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.

Sylvia Ooh have fun ;)

Kristin (KC) Haha, thanks! Why do I have the feeling I'm getting myself into another "Thoughtless/Effortless" type book?!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Rachiele Love Travis!

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara I tried this one but couldn't get passed what B&N gave in the sample. Good Luck Kris!

message 5: by Kristin (KC) (last edited May 27, 2012 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristin (KC) Thanks guys! Fingers crossed :o)

Leslie If you liked Thoughtless, you'll LOVE this one! Buckle up, AGAIN!

Robin Another great novel Kris - enjoy!

Kristin (KC) Oh no!!! Lol... Thanks ladies, I'm liking it so far :)

Leslie This one about killed me like Thoughtless did, but I did love it...and hated it, too. Glad you liked it, Kris! Nice review, too! ;)

Kristin (KC) Leslie wrote: "This one about killed me like Thoughtless did, but I did love it...and hated it, too. Glad you liked it, Kris! Nice review, too! ;)"

Haha it was bananas! I loved/hated it, too! But loved it more ;) Thanks Leslie!!

NikaWins Great novel !

Karla Great review Kris! I loved this book and Travis!

message 13: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Rachiele Told ya!!!! Love my Travis!!! hehe

Kristin (KC) You were right, Amy lol! Thanks ladies! :)

message 15: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Wade So good, but yup--"utterly exhausting" at times for sure. I felt like I could sleep for a week straight after reading this. Whew!

message 16: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Rachiele Leslie wrote: "This one about killed me like Thoughtless did, but I did love it...and hated it, too. Glad you liked it, Kris! Nice review, too! ;)"

I tried to start reading thoughtless, it didn't grab me... Should I try again?

message 17: by R.E. (new) - rated it 4 stars

R.E. Hunter Great review! This was another one I had a hard time putting into words but you said it perfectly. She's coming out with a book from Travis' POV next which should def be a great read!

Also, her Providence series was amazing!:)

Kristin (KC) Rose wrote: "Great review! This was another one I had a hard time putting into words but you said it perfectly. She's coming out with a book from Travis' POV next which should def be a great read!

Also, her Pr..."

Rose, thanks! I had no idea that another book was coming out through Travis' POV! That should be interesting...and I can't wait to read the Providence series! :)

Tania Love this book!!! Great review :)

Kristin (KC) Thanks, Tania! Me too :)

Natalie ♥︎♥︎for the love of TBH!♥︎♥︎ gret review!! i loved it too and i can´t wait to read travis POV.

Kristin (KC) Thanks, Natalie! We definitely love the same books!

♥Rachel♥ This was intense but I loved it anyhow. Great review, Kris. :)

Kristin (KC) ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "This was intense but I loved it anyhow. Great review, Kris. :)"

Thanks, Rachel! I felt the same :)

Natalie ♥︎♥︎for the love of TBH!♥︎♥︎ You can now pre ordwr walking disaster on bookdepository.com, sqeeee!!!

Kristin (KC) Natalie wrote: "You can now pre ordwr walking disaster on bookdepository.com, sqeeee!!!"

Awesome, thanks! :)

Katherine Great review!

Kristin (KC) Thank you, Katherine! :)

Kellie Loved this book! any recommendations for anything similiar plzzz

Kellie Amazing thank you! Its snowing in london needs some good books 4 in the warm :)

Kristin (KC) Sounds cozy! Enjoy :)

Kellie hey reed all u recommended you got anymore? :)

Kellie Week off work :) thanks so much 4 the amazing lists!

Kristin (KC) Kellie wrote: "Week off work :) thanks so much 4 the amazing lists!"

Anytime! Enjoy your vacation :)

Marianna St So relieved that someone thinks the same way.I couldn't put the book down. I think that everyone who reads it must have a controversial opinion in the end. I believe that I kept reading it because Travis' behavior was sexy and manly and every girl needs a dose of that , but it's not healthy to finish the book and not have realized that it was a bit creepy at some points. And that travis' excessive self-sacrificing was fan sucking the least.I can say that the couple is in danger of being characterized as one , having a codependent relationship. Anyway it is just a story to read and enjoy.However for the ones that seek a meaning/moral at the end of every book I could say that it is to be aware of the boundaries between a healthy and an unhealthy relationship.(sorry if I made an mistakes in English)

message 36: by Didi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Didi Awesome review Kris! Completely agree about not passing judgement and seeing books for what they are: fiction. Well said! xo

Kristin (KC) @ Marianna: Well said! This book definitely got people talking, which is always good :)

@ Didi: Thank you, lovely! :)

message 38: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill An excellent review. I, too, enjoyed it

Michelle I loved this one but LOVE LOVE LOVED Walking Disaster (Travis' POV). I thought that it was waaaaay better than Beautiful Disaster. It's a must read!

message 40: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill Agreed, Michelle. I thought Walking Disaster was much better!

Kristin (KC) @ Bill: thanks! Glad you enjoyed as well :)

@ Michelle: I haven't read WD yet. Many of my friends felt it was just a total remake with nothing new to offer, so I've been hesitant. But I'm glad to see you loved it! I'm sure I'll get to it eventually :)

Michelle Kris, it was definitely a remake but it really dug deep into the 'why' Travis did certain things. Sometimes Abby just drove me nuts (not one of my favorite heroines!) so that's why I think I enjoyed Travis' POV better than Abby's. AND the epilogue was such a fantastic bonus (new material)!!

Kristin (KC) Michelle wrote: "Kris, it was definitely a remake but it really dug deep into the 'why' Travis did certain things. Sometimes Abby just drove me nuts (not one of my favorite heroines!) so that's why I think I enjoye..."

Good point! Abby was definitely hard to sympathize with and got under my skin. I could absolutely see why Trav's POV would be preferred... :)