Bea 's Reviews > Love Is Murder

Love Is Murder by Sandra Brown

Dec 19, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: beas-book-nook, ebook, action-mystery-thriller, read-in-2012, reviews, romance
Read from May 29 to June 30, 2012

Ok, first of all, this book is 600+ pages long, and 570 of them are the stories. That is a BIG book, and I haven't finished all of the stories; I have been jumping around, picking which ones I want to read. For my review, I picked four stories; two of them are by authors I've read before and two of the authors are new to me. I initially received a digital galley of the book and the formatting was so bad, and confusing, that I gave up reading it. Happily, I also received a print galley and that was much better. So, this review is based on the print galley that I received.

LOCKDOWN by Andrea Kane

In this story, Kane mixes characters from her FBI series and her Forensic Instincts series; the story is easily readable as a separate entity. The characters mix well together, being from series with similar worlds, and the world building is simple yet clear, which is one of Kane's strengths. This story has adventure and two, well actually, three, romances: Sloan and Derek, Kim and James, and the failed romance of Kim and her ex, Ted. Ted wants his ex-wife and their son back and he's willing to go to any extreme. FBI Agents Sloan and Derek Parker work with the local police to thwart him; I enjoyed seeing them in action. We don't really get to see much of James and I would have liked to seen Claire's psychic gifts better explained for people who haven't read the first Forensic Instincts book, but overall, it was a fast-paced, nicely detailed story that didn't feel short. It works all by itself and while I was left wanting more, I wasn't frustrated; just pleasantly hungry for more. :D

I've read Kane before.

COLD MOONLIGHT by Carla Neggers

There was a time when I read everything that she wrote and enjoyed them very much. Then they started feeling formulaic and I began finding other authors and it's been a while now since I've read a book by her. With this story, I felt like I'd never left. That was both good and bad: it was familiar, which can be comforting, but it wasn't anything that she hasn't done before. The romance didn't feel real or believable to me. Part of that may have been because I felt as if I was dropped in the middle of an ongoing story. Since I'm behind on her books, I can't be sure, but the story and characters felt like they were part of a larger, ongoing story and this was just an excerpt. The overall writing is decent but the story is confusing and I didn't believe in the romance.

I've read Neggers before.

DYING TO SCORE by Cindy Gerard

I've been hearing a lot of good buzz about Gerard and have been wanting to try her. I didn't love this story but I did enjoy it and I'll be trying out her full length books. The story has characters from her Black Ops series but only once or twice did I feel like I was missing something. Crystal "Tinkerbelle" Reed and her husband Johnny are on a mission with fellow operatives Doc and Archangel to gather intel on a paramilitary training compound when things go very wrong. Tink, as Crystal is called, holds her own and is not just a token female on the team. She rescues Johnny and their interaction at the end of the story is sweet, funny, and very real. The military op mainly serves as the story device for Johnny to get hurt and Tink to rescue him but it is a short story, it's hard to do it all. I enjoyed all of the characters and the story; it also served as a good introduction to Gerard's Black Ops series.

Gerard was a new author for me.

I HEARD A ROMANTIC STORY by Lee Child

One of my brothers-in-law, not the one who just died, but the other one, who's still alive, is a big fan of Child's. He's received several Child books from me for Christmas and birthdays over the years, but I've never stopped and read any of Child's books. That will be changing. This story, which is very short at only seven pages, had me laughing just about non-stop. We never meet the lovers in this story, we hear about them from the narrator. All of the characters are nameless. The narrator is very stream of conscious, which I wouldn't enjoy in a full-length book but it works wonderfully for this story. It's a bittersweet love story, told with ironic, dry humor by the narrator and it most definitely does not have a happy ending. Child packs a lot of detail, humor, pathos, and emotion into this story. I haven't finished the anthology but I feel confident in saying that this short story is the highlight of the book.

Child was a new author for me.

I received a print galley and a digital galley for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Is Murder.

06/03/2012 page 59
06/03/2012 page 139
23.0% "A real mix but so far, the stories are heavy on the mystery /suspense portion, but light on the romance."
06/04/2012 page 433
71.0% "I'm skipping around but I've read about half the stories. I'm not sure I'd call them all romantic suspense but it's a decent anthology."
06/05/2012 page 583
96.0% "Still jumping around. I just read the final story, by Lee Child, and it was EXCELLENT. I hadn't read him before but I will now."
06/11/2012 page 583
96.0% "I just read Sherrilyn Kenyon's story, B.A.D. Mission. I know her B.A.D. books sell, but she should really stick to UF and PNR."
06/13/2012 page 187
31.0% "In the midst of Dianna Love's story it's not holding my attention."
06/14/2012 page 221
36.0% "I really wasn't expecting the paranormal stories."
06/30/2012 page 263
43.0% "Read "Last Shot" by Land & Layers, was very good. At first, I didn't know what was happening then I figured out. The ending was predictable but a good story overall."
06/30/2012 page 285
47.0% "Without Mercy by Mariah Stewart was very good, I'll need to look for more by her."
06/30/2012 page 320
53.0% ""Even Steven" - Wow"
06/30/2012 page 475
78.0% "I just might finish this book tonight."
06/30/2012 page 608
100.0% "I'm torn between giving the book 3.5 stars or 4. But, a really good anthology."
show 1 hidden update…