Sue CCCP's Reviews > Wired

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: giveaways, review-written
Read from May 29 to 31, 2012

2.5 Stars

My full review: http://coffeecookiesandchilipeppers.b...

Disclaimer: I was sent a copy of this book free from the author via a Librarything Member Giveaway, in return for an honest review.

I have a scientific background and I like a good Thriller, so I was pleased to receive my free copy of this book. I thought the premise of an intelligence-enhancing serum sounded fascinating and gave a lot of scope for exploring this next step in man’s evolution and we certainly do see that addressed in the book when the enhanced characters become unfeeling and dismissive of other humans. However, this exploration consisted of either long discussions or internal monologues that were very drawn out and therefore counterproductive as it became difficult to maintain interest in them whilst trying to find out what happened next. The author spent far too much time telling us about the effects of the serum rather than showing it to us, which would have been much more interesting.

The plot itself was confused with lots of unnecessary action and ‘twists’ that were so obvious as to be laughable. Rather than keeping us guessing about Kira and her allegiance, we are very quickly shown that she is actually an innocent who is being set up by an unknown evil. This was disappointing because it meant that all the further hints at her being a bad guy were pointless and just made me feel like the author did not really know how to handle his plot. There were also far too many improbable escapes and happy coincidences for my liking and a bad guy who seemed to be omniscient.

This was an OK thriller, but the premise promised so much more. The plot has more twists than seems sensible and, unfortunately, most of them are so obvious that they are very predictable. The characterization was weak, with the most interesting character being one of the supporting cast. The dialogue was uninteresting and there was far too much exposition. The science was not very well thought through and explained to the point of utter boredom. The ending was preposterous and I have no intention of moving on to the second book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wired.