Syrdarya's Reviews > Changes

Changes by Jim Butcher

May 01, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, vampires, mexico
Read in May, 2012

I absolutely love this series. I have fallen behind in reading them, and preferably I would have reread the entire series before jumping into this book, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that old characters and plotlines were reintroduced subtly enough that it didn't jar me from the atmosphere and Butcher provided enough info that a review of the older books wasn't necessary.

Harry Dresden receives a call from his old flame, Susan, which shocks him and sets him on a new mission to save a little girl - the daughter he never knew he had.

The first half of the book is slow in parts, but the second half really ramps up the pace and there are some surprising developments all along the way. The ending is a cliffhanger and I'm glad I can delve into Ghost Story right away.

The only thing I would complain about were the multitude of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars (and the TV series Kung Fu?) references which were all over the first half of the book. The constant references to grasshopper/padawan/Gollum, among other things, became a bit overwhelming until one of the characters actually says something to Harry about one of the references. They didn't stop immediately, but soon after they did decrease in frequency.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changes.