Holly's Reviews > The Wife: A Novel

The Wife by Meg Wolitzer

F_50x66
Sep 07, 08

This book is fantastic. I love the unique perspective of the protagonist: an introspective and talented woman who grew up in the 50s who spends her life married to a famous novelist who is really nothing more than a big kid. She makes a decision that historically stymes feminists, but this book gives her perspective in a fresh and convincing new way.

She's got fresh, beautiful ways of looking at things that are so perfect and sharp and spot-on that it leaves you wondering why you hadn't come to the same conclusion ages ago. (It's ironic that she addresses the question of why men often, although timelessly, attempt to write epic, huge, earth shattering books and women stick closer to what they know - and the arrogance inherent in this style of writing; this has been somewhat of a lingering discussion I've had w/ some of my reader friends...) Some critics compare her to John Updike, with which I agree - he's an author that makes some women angry, and i'd like to hear what men think of this book - what empowers one enrages another.

Fantastic book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wife.