Sapphyria 's Reviews > Cara Mia

Cara Mia by Denise Verrico

May 01, 2012

Read from June 13 to July 04, 2012

When Mia awakens in an alley, abused and discarded by the man she thought she loved, her master Ethan, she flees into the night and away from the cycle of abuse. When we meet Mia again we find that she is being held prisoner in a laboratory with her boyfriend, Kurt, who is locked in a separate room. Enter Dr. Joe who is desperately trying to figure out the what's and why's of Mia and Kurt. Dr. Joe is able to get Mia to talk and she tells the story life. This tosses the novel into flashback mode while we learn about Mia, the Immortyl's, and why Mia and Kurt are in the laboratory. Mia yearns to live a more human existence that she feels is possible with all of the advances in technology. In a story of twists, turns, back stabbing, and deceit we are introduced to a different group of vampires; vampires of flesh and blood who's hearts beat.

What a magnificent teller of vampiric tales is Denise Verrico. This novel is captivating and intriguing. There isn't one dull or slow moment throughout the novel. It grabs you from the get go and doesn't release you from its grip. Ms. Verrico is able to write as though the characters are in your living room with you, not just in your head as you read and absorb what's going on in the pages.

Mia a very strong and intelligent heroine. She has been through a lot in her life and has bounced back from the horrors that abounded. Kurt is a very gentle vampire when it comes to loving Mia. He, also, has had a nightmare of a life both human and vampire. Dr. Joe, who is sceptical and views Mia and Kurt, is a strong secondary character who softens after hearing their stories. The entire cast, as well as the plot, are written quite well.

I strongly recommend this novel to lovers of scientific exploration and, of course, vampires.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cara Mia.