Rachael Woohoo's Reviews > Fixing Delilah

May 17, 12

bookshelves: chick-lit, 2012, romance, reviewed
Read from May 07 to 08, 2012

4 Stars!

After reading her other novel, Twenty Boy Summer, I guess I was expecting more of a grief filled novel, considering that both books have characters that are close to the protagonist and have died. And, sure, Delilah potrayed some grief, but compared to Anna in Twenty Boy Summer, her grief was minimal.

I think the point of the plot in this novel wasn’t about overcoming individual grief/burden in TBS – instead, it was about making amends and overcoming problems together. The Hannaford’s recovery is remarkable to watch, as well as Delilah’s personal discoveries as to what to do with her life.

In addition, as many can predict, I am a fan of Patrick and Delilah’s relationship. As a sucker for romance/chick-lit, as usual, I found their childhood-friend-to-boyfriend-girlfriend relationship to be endearing. Their quick encounters and ups and downs of their relationship were cute, adding a special spark to the story.

The setting and supporting characters were also a plus for me. Hailing from a smaller village, I know what it feels like to live in a smaller town – Fixing Delilah helps depict what it is like – an overall sense of community, everyone knows each other, etc. As for the supporting characters, I particularly admired Emily’s friendship and constant support of Delilah. Their relationship developed in such a way that it felt as if they actually were sisters.

As for the plot, aside from the Hannaford’s recovery and Patrick, I found the manner in which Stephanie’s story was intertwined to be interesting, especially since “C” (view spoiler). Of course, this was also somewhat related to their recovery.

Overall, this book was great at demonstrating the importance of family, and how you recover together. If one falls, everybody falls. I recommend this book for teens, although guys might not enjoy it due to the romance and POV of a female.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fixing Delilah.

05/08/2012 page 146