Merilyn Porter's Reviews > The Good Father

The Good Father by Noah Hawley

May 01, 12

In the same vain as books such as We need to talk about Kevin, The Good Father explores the consequences of the assassination of a presidential candidate on the family of the perpetrator, in particular his father. Senator Seagram is gunned down by 20 year old Daniel Allen and along with his death goes the hope and optimism of millions of disillusioned Americans. For Daniel’s father the tragedy is far, far greater and he finds cannot acknowledge his son’s responsibility or accept that his son could be capable of such a heinous crime. Along with the help of his attorney he embarks on his own investigations determined to uncover some sort of conspiracy or set up that will prove his son's innocence.

I have to say I love a good nurture/nature debate and novels that explore the issue are high on my radar. The Good Father succeeded in getting across the complete and utter desperation a parent must feel when their child commits such a crime and the novel is really a journey of self discovery as Daniel’s father struggles with the process of accepting the loss of his son. The book raises many challenging questions and quite frankly I struggle to think of a worse predicament for a parent. This is not an uplifting read but I’m glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Father.