Sarah's Reviews > The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy

The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy by Nikki Loftin

Sep 03, 14

bookshelves: arc, middle-grade, 2012-release, debut-novel
Read from August 08 to 09, 2012

"Use your imagination, Lorelei, and your whole life can be a fairy tale."
I've read Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy back in August. I know my review is splendidly late and my memory of the details in this book are blurry at most, but I could tell you that Sinister Sweetness is a unique, entertaining read.

Actually, what stuck to me was the sand. Oh, of course the never ending Skittles supplies and any candy imaginable was quite sumptuous and heavenly to think about, but what I most remember was the part wherein Lorelei and Andrew ate the sand. Well, not exactly like that but they did eat the sand.

OK, we're not getting anywhere. In all honesty, I would've incredibly enjoyed Sinister Sweetness if I've read it when I was a kid. Growing up as a strange kid, I loved everything chilly and spooky. I craved to read about witches, ghosts, and creepy entities. So really, this book would just be right up my alley. I know that's not fair since it's an MG book and I knew what I'm getting myself into but there are some MG books that can cater to both kids and adults-who-are-still-hang-up-on-reading-kids-book (like me!) . Basically, while this book would be enjoyable for adults, too, I think kids would devour this more.

Sinister Sweetness doesn't shy away from being dark and creepy at times. Lorelei is an adorable kid although she's branded as quite the troublemaker and she carry this guilt inside of her that makes her a bit edgy. In the end though, her true character shined through.

Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy doesn't just boast a gorgeous cover and one of the most longest and intriguing title I've ever seen, but it speaks volume about forgiveness and finding your true self in the most dreadful situations. This is Loftin's debut novel and I'm definitely looking forward to her future works, MG or not.

I'm still hang up on this though: I can't believe that another type of almond in wrong mixtures and doses could produce cyanide, a deadly poison. But thanks for the heads-up, Nikki!

This is review is also posted at Smitten over Books. Copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy.