Jill Swanson-Diaz's Reviews > Set in Stone

Set in Stone by Anna Cruise

Jan 11, 15

bookshelves: young-adult, arc-or-review-copy, on-the-blog, self-published
Read from May 02 to 03, 2012

Whew! This book sent me through a heap of emotions and I just couldn't stop reading.
I found the premise so fresh and new. The story line was unpredictable for me which I loved! There were no moments when I thought to my self, "...and now this happens." The story kept moving at a great pace with just the right amount of development throughout.
I was immediately pulled into the mythology involved with this story. It is so well integrated with real life.
Set in Stone follows Valerie a 15 year old who has yet to come into her own. She has a faltering relationship with her mom and her dad is consumed with business. The story opens with a family camping trip that Val is none too excited to be apart of. Little does she know it is this trip that will change her life.
Her character is so real and I related with so much of what she was feeling and experiencing at that age. Her first love and loss. Every time she smiled in the book I smiled right along with her.
It was hard for me to remember that this book was aimed for a younger age (I am in my mid 20's) Set in Stone could be enjoyable for any age not just young adults.
It was so nice to see Val gain her strength at the end of the book. I really felt like I had journeyed with her.
Oh! And I loved the characters of Noel and Leo as well. I would be interested to know how Balmanno came up with their concept! It was great that despite the fact they are Gods, they can also be realized as human as well.
This book was just so great! I can not wait to read the sequel!!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Set in Stone.

message 1: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth Shelby Wow. WOW. I'm glad you liked the story. Thanks for sharing such a thoughtful review!