Priscilla's Reviews > His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: to-read
Read from May 01 to 12, 2012

Northern Lights (The Golden Compass)

Quite fantastical.

Initial thoughts:
1. Excellent descriptive writing.
2. Lyra is a character that has room for development. She's curious, and courageous, but she's not impervious to the dangers around her. Great character growth throughout.
3. The plot is slow and steady, but all the fantastical elements make for an interesting and adventurous read.
4. Great setup to the next book. The ending is fast paced, and a few twists are thrown in.
5. Amazing fantasy elements and characters. Love Pan, and Iorek!

Check out my book to movie adaptation review here!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Dark Materials.

05/03/2012 page 124
11.0% "The writing is captivating. Great so far." 1 comment
05/08/2012 page 282
25.0% 3 comments
05/10/2012 page 355
31.0% "Finished reading The Golden Compass. So good! :D Iorek is boss." 2 comments

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan Sanchez Beautiful books. If you enjoy audio books, I cannot recommend the full cast production of these enough.

message 2: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Is this for MAY book haul perhaps? Reading The Golden Compass in children's literature class this week. Coincidence! Enjoy, I know I am so far! :)

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna These are my all-time favorite books. I hope you enjoy them!

message 4: by Klara (new)

Klara Appel OMG you will love it!

message 5: by Reagan (new)

Reagan Will you read all three of them?

message 6: by Rena16 (new)

Rena16 i love this series!!i hope you like them!

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie yay, I'm re-reading this series again lol.

message 8: by Stacey (new) - added it

Stacey (prettybooks) It's a wonderful book! I only ended up getting to the second book, but I own all three and so I'll have to get back to them someday :)

message 9: by Claudia (new)

Claudia It was my favourite trilogy growing up! The amber spyglass is the only book that made me shed a tear...otherwise, I'm a robot, just like you! ;)

Lorena All time favorite! Can't wait for your review!

message 11: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Lundström LOVE this trilogy! :D