Alice Liu's Reviews > Shady Lady

Shady Lady by Ann Aguirre

May 02, 12

Read from May 01 to 02, 2012 — I own a copy

Ann Aguirre goes into an interesting direction with "Shady Lady," the third book in the Corine Solomon series. Corine learns more about her own personal legacy and her growing powers. She became indebted to a demon at the end of book two, but she is more connected to the demon realm than she realizes. Add to this the fact that she has to make some hard and ugly choices to survive the Montoya cartel, and you have a heroine who is walking the dark side as much as the light. Ironically, her guardian and God's Hand, Kel Ferguson, doesn't have the same ethical dilemmas that Corine has--her sense of morality having been human and religion-made rather than coming from a higher Authority. Corine changes very much in this book. In some ways she is becoming an adult by taking charge of her life, no matter what the circumstances that have been dealt to her, and not playing the victim. My only issue with this book is the ending. Her despair with one romantic situation and overt hope with the other felt too abrupt and a bit out of character. It does, however, make me want to know what's going to happen in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shady Lady.