Kerri's Reviews > The Presence: A Ghost Story

Sep 07, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, mystery-suspense, notsomuch
I own a copy

After a tragic accident, Catherine Jeffers travels to Pasadena, California, to stay with her grandmother during the Christmas season. Her grandmother works at St. Matthews Church, which happens to be the coldest place in the area. The cold is due to a mysterious presence of a 17 year old boy who died over a hundred years ago. As anyone could imagine, Noah, the ghost, has been a little lonely and has tried unsuccessfully to get a young, beautful girl to come to the other side with him. Catherine is Noah's next chance to find a "soul mate" and ghostly companion.

This book was extremely predictable and the writing wasn't very good. But then again this is for a younger audience so I think it would hold the attention for someone in middle school. If a teen is looking for a ghost story and they're in 6th, 7th, 8th grade, then they might enjoy this. The ghost gets a little creepy. I would even go so far as to say 5th grade. There's a tiny, tiny reference to drug and alcohol use, but it wasn't anything too shocking. Kids these days know about worse things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Presence.