Brenda's Reviews > Glow

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Mar 05, 13

bookshelves: first-reads, 2013, sci-fi
Read from February 06 to March 04, 2013

I was excited to read this book when I got it in the mail but had put it off almost a year later since I was reading a few other books. I loved how each part is from either Kieran or Waverly, alternating perspective. Didn’t like the religious undertone. It kind of made me want to give up on the book, I thought I had been tricked into reading a book that had a religious agenda. But, after finishing the book it turned out to be much more complex then that when Waverly questions Kieran's actions. I think the author is going for how power corrupts and that no matter your religion/lack of, it's all in the choices that we make, all people can be good/bad.
By the end of part 5 I knew I would be left hanging by the end of the book…of course that’s sort of the point a series. Not sure if I would read the next one, I give it a 25% chance that I would because I know a part of me wants to know what going to happen with Waverly and Seth.

*Disclaimer: Received the book for free through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Thank you St.Martins press and Goodreads.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glow.

02/06/2013 page 14
4.0% "First chapter....interesting so far"
02/15/2013 page 51
16.0% "Part one fin."
02/16/2013 page 71
23.0% "Turned out ok so far.... Don't really like the whole religious aspect of it, but it is the new horizon where most everyone on that ship was more religious than the empyrean... How ironic that ship name is too.."
02/19/2013 page 139
45.0% "Blackbird singing in the dead of night. / Take these broken wings and learn to fly"
03/01/2013 page 238
77.0% "Part five fin. Have a feeling I'm going to be left hangin by the end of the book"
show 4 hidden updates…