Stefanie Waring's Reviews > Blood Lite

Blood Lite by Kevin J. Anderson

F_50x66
May 01, 12

This is one of those books that I keep on my shelf because I'm a horrible packrat, and every now and then I take it down to re-read, despite vague warnings bells inside my head. Unfortunately, this collection is not very good. Most of the stories are unsatisfying at best and downright horrible at worst. There are a few good ones but the majority of them just left me scratching my head or rolling my eyes.

I think the worst offender is 'Where Angels Fear to Tread' by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Perhaps it would have been better if I read her other work, but as it was, it read like something a gothy thirteen-year-old scribbled in her journal, complete with 'hawt' change in appearance and no real plotline. The first few pages were fine, but by halfway through I kind of hated Zeke, and by the time he transformed, I was rolling my eyes too hard to care what happened next.

As for the others, they mostly came off as too try-hard and desperate, like these authors weren't really sure what was supposed to be funny. I did enjoy 'Hell in a Handbasket' because that one actually seemed fairly tongue-in-cheek, and the one about Elvis was amusing as well. 'Dear Prudence' was another standout, because it was actually amusing, in a dark way. Because who hasn't had those types of thoughts? Jim Butcher was competent, Charlaine Harris told a decent story, 'PR Problems' was decent, and the rest I can barely even remember, which is not a good thing for a short story collection. It's okay for borrowing from the library, or from a friend, but I wouldn't waste actual money on it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Lite.