Marla's Reviews > The Dream Slayer

The Dream Slayer by Jill  Cooper

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: for-review, books-read-in-2012, demons, fantasy, magic, paranormal, supernatural, ya, vampires
Read from June 28 to July 07, 2012

This review appears on my blog, Starting the Next Chapter.

When I first read the title for this book, I was intrigued. What context did the phrase "dream slayer" refer to? Was it a slayer of out of control dreams, or was there something else. Reading the description cleared that right up and my interest was fully piqued. The concept is an especially fun one. I knew it had the potential to be a really fun read. As it turns out, I was correct in my thinking. The Dream Slayer is a truly fun premise with loads of action and some very sweet moments.

I really liked the main character, Natalie... both of them! You see, the real Natalie is special. In her dreams, she is something other than herself that makes her more able to cope with the difficulties of her waking life. In real life, Natalie is overweight, bullied, and abused, but still has a truly sweet disposition that makes the things that are happening to her all the more horrible. When she escapes into her dreams, however, she is a more fit, confident version of herself that takes no crap from anyone. Did I mention that her dream self is a demon slayer? Oh, yeah. I thought that would get your attention. Seeing Natalie come out of her shell as she discovered a strength she didn't know she possessed was beautiful. As her confidence grows, she becomes an even more interesting character. I really enjoyed her.

The writing that makes up The Dream Slayer is very engaging, as is the world it is set in. The variety of demons that have to be dealt with are just disturbing enough to add a real sense of menace to the story. What is even more spectacular is the amount of humor that is injected into the characters you would least expect. There were several errors scattered throughout the book, but as I had the incomplete copy, I won't fault the story too much for it. I just hope that they have been corrected, as they can potentially distract readers from a fun story.

I was very pleased with this book and loved getting lost in this strange world that Natalie lives in. Most of the characters are enjoyable and the stakes are high. Fans of books featuring girls who can kick butt will definitely want to give this one a go. It is imaginative and easy to read. It left me wanting to know what would happen next, which is always the mark of a good story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dream Slayer.