steph's Reviews > The Age of Abundance: How Prosperity Transformed America's Politics and Culture

The Age of Abundance by Brink Lindsey

Nov 13, 08

bookshelves: regular-politics
Recommended to steph by: jon stewart's daily show
Read in January, 2007, read count: once

really interesting insights into the age of convenience, and even some about the beginnings of feminism. didn't really convince me that 'prosperity' changed our politics and culture. but did prove how abundance and convenience led to increase in the suburbanization of america.
i feel that americans have always been about bigger-better-more, and the industrial age offered us opportunities to take our consumerism to new levels of irrationality. it pushed us as a society that understood the patience inherent in working hard to achieve all the material things people want as americans [cars, houses, all the stuff along with it] throughout our lives, to a society focused on immediate gratification at all costs. we give no thought to how things are produced shipped or dealt with after disposal, to the detriment of our planet and to future generations who will have to deal with the tonnes of toxic waste we produce daily.
the author is less apocalyptic about the whole thing, but i think he glosses over that in favour of focusing on the political aspect of it. i'm still not sure if he thinks we've become more open-minded, or more traditionalist, as a result.
i might need to read this again to truly appreciate its finer points. interesting, nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Abundance.