Tony duncan's Reviews > The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

M 50x66
Sep 16, 08

bookshelves: audio, literature
Recommended to Tony by: who didn't
Recommended for: like realistic historical ethnic fiction?
Read in September, 2008

Wow, I read a few of the reviews other have had of this book and they go all over the map.
I thought it was great. i really loved the character Amir, because of his straightforward honesty in depicting the mistakes he made and the disasterous consequencs of those mistakes. there was a sense of forboding as we follow his life chronologically and the characters are introduced. The beautiful character hassan could have come out as unrealistic or as naive and foolish, though sympathetic. maybe some would take him that way. But I found him to be the source of redemption. that his sacrifices and moral code and loyalty, while bringing his disaster after disaster made it possible for the final resolution to really be believeable.

there were things that were not believable, but they were part of a poetic license that added the faintest charm of magic, and symmetry. I don;t think they were necesary and they were somewaht manipulative, but they were not forced down your throat, just there to be noticed. Funny that those things did not move me, but the deep personal interactions did all by themselves.

my one major complaint is , as someone else noted the cartoonish depiction fo the taliban as just being evil horrifying bullies While I don;t know any, i have seen interviews and read writings of islamic fanatics, and they are just as human and have deep rationals for their behavior. And while I don't doubt that corruption and petty human emotion, as well as the abuse that comes from absolute power are key elements of Taliban, there could have ben a much more nuanced treatment.

And i would ad a slight disappointment in the middle of the book, that is not as rich as the beginning and ending because of the rapid passage of time.

but all in all I think it is a beautiful depiction fo a very human journey toward reconstituting a human morality and an understanding of sin and redemption

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.

Barbara This gives an amazing insight into an incredibly different culture.I loved the book.Hope you enjoy it. Can't wait to talk with you about
it, Barb