Sandile's Reviews > The Gruffalo

The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson

F_50x66
May 01, 12

The ‘Gruffalo’ is an extremely witty book, I was left in stitches when I read it, and I can honestly say I can read it over and over again. This story is about a very clever little mouse who outsmarts all the different animals in the forest to avoid being eaten. This story really highlights that, looks can be deceiving as this tiny little mouse manages to evade danger of being eaten through intelligence alone. This story shows that strength does not always manifest itself as a physical thing; rather one can have a lot of strength which can be demonstrated by their intelligence. I feel to some extent this book can empower children as they can learn that size really does not matter.
This story is essentially about a mouse’s journey through the woods whereby the mouse makes up a fictional character “Gruffalo” in order to avoid being eaten. All the animals flee feeling scared that the Gruffalo will eat them. Ironically the mouse coincidently meets an actual Gruffalo. Once again the mouse uses his intelligence to outsmart the Gruffalo. I think the underlying message in this story is that intelligence can help in many situations; it’s also an empowering book, which highlights that size does not matter.
The book has subtle under tones about being judgemental as it is very easy to judge people based on how they look, I suppose it highlights the importance of not being judgemental. I would recommend this book for Nursery children as well as KS1.Another must read for lots and lots of laughter!!! A timeless classic!

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gruffalo.