furiosa ☄ howls's Reviews > The Last Unicorn

May 28, 12

bookshelves: need-to-own
Recommended for: All
Read from May 16 to 28, 2012, read count: 1

This book speaks to the ethereal child in me, where magical and not quite logical things can make sense without trying. I loved this book, and I think it found me at the right time, even though I am far older than the target audience.

I could imagine a parent reading this book to a small child, a little bit each night. I can also see myself rereading it over and over. It's written so lyrically, especially the beginning, and I love that both sorrow and happiness are treated as equally valid experiences. To see the world as a story resonates with me personally, and this was one of those books that felt very familiar in its' wording, even though I'd never read it before. It certainly spoke to me.

I know this review isn't really helpful to anyone else, but I would say this book should be read by everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Unicorn.

Quotes furiosa Liked

Peter S. Beagle
“What happened instead was that the tree fell in love with him and began to murmur fondly of the joy to be found in the eternal embrace of a red oak. "Always, always," it sighed, "faithful beyond any man's deserving. I will keep the color of your eyes when no other in the world remembers your name. There is no immortality but a tree's love.”
Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn
tags: love

Peter S. Beagle
“I know exactly how you feel," Schmendrick said eagerly. The unicorn looked at him out of dark, endless eyes, and he smiled nervously and looked at his hands. "It's a rare man who is taken for what he truly is," he said. "There is much misjudgment in the world. Now I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so must I be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. Still I have read, or heard it sung, that unicorns when time was young, could tell the difference 'twixt the two - the false shining and the true, the lips' laugh and the heart's rue.”
Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn

05/17/2012 page 48
16.0% "How did I get to be 27 and never have read this book...?"
05/23/2012 page 128
44.0% "I am savoring this book. Written like a dream, and speaking to that part we all leave behind as we age but it never really went anywhere."