Linda's Reviews > Mrs. Tuesday's Departure

Mrs. Tuesday's Departure by Suzanne Elizabeth Anderson

F 50x66
May 01, 12

Read in April, 2012

With the Nazis arriving in Budapest, Ilona and her husband Mila, a Jew, take the last two tickets for the train out of Budapest for themselves, leaving their daughter Mila, and Ilona’s sisters, Natalie and Anna who are identical twins, to fend for themselves. Natalie is a renowned children’s book author and Anna a former professor at the college and poet, who is slowly losing her mind with paranoid delusions that put them in danger.

Suzanne’s novel, Mrs. Tuesday’s Departure, is written in the first person point of view, which gives us Natalie’s personal perspective of the stress, planning, and dangers the two women and Mila are enduring. It draws you straight into the emotional drama of how she can know who to trust, what she should do to protect Mila, her worries of being watched and followed, and how she should handle Anna in her delusional states. My feelings were so pumped throughout, knowing the dangers and fears.

The grief from the loss of Max, Natalie’s husband, was sensitively handled and very well portrayed. Betrayal by a young man, her intruding questions about Deszo, and the jealousies between Natalie and Anna kept the story moving through the whole book like a marching army of sorts. The additional story of Mrs. Tuesday was an interesting interlude to set aside the atrocities taking place, a time of escape for a short period of time.

The love Natalie has for Mila fills a part of her loneliness, but also becomes an issue of choice for her. If she had to choose between saving Mila or Anna, who would she choose? The strength of faith, family, and love bring a resolution through this horrifying time of history.

This is a great book built around a terrified family trying to survive Hitler’s men, and I thought it was well laid out and emotionally touching. However, the use of expletives took me by surprise and I feel they were unnecessary in a Christian book.

This book was provided by the author, Suzanne Anderson, in exchanged for my honest review. No monetary compensation was exchanged for my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Tuesday's Departure.

Elizabeth I've just started the book. Ilona's daughter is Mila. Ilona's husband is Bela, he is Mila's step-father. I think the women are all Catholic but Bela is Jewish which means Ilona and Mila are now considered Jewish. At least that's what it seems like as I started the book.