Tori's Reviews > The Messenger

The Messenger by Siri Mitchell

May 24, 12

bookshelves: christian, historical-romance, quaker
Read from May 06 to 24, 2012

I love historical novels, and the fact that this novel is set during the Revolutionary War intrigued me that much more. Revolutionary War novels in Christian fiction is a rarity indeed, and the message of God was felt throughout the story as well. This book will definitely make you take a ride on an emotional roller coaster and that's putting it mildly. There is a new twist and turn with every chapter, and the characters are as real as can be. I was held in utter suspense holding my breath at times to find out what would happen next.
This novel is told in first person from each of the main character's viewpoints, Hannah and Jeremiah. This gives you a very clear insight to each of the characters personal viewpoints and thoughts which was actually refreshing.
Hannah is very admirable, and even though she finds herself questioning her Quaker upbringing later in the novel she holds fast to her beliefs in God no matter what. Although she has to go against her rules of being a Friend she doesn't waver in her honesty, strength, or faith even just when you think she surely can't take anymore without breaking. I think Hannah is easy for many to relate to, as we all have found ourselves questioning different aspects of our upbringing. Ultimately we have to follow our hearts while keeping rooted in our faith, and that is the challenge.
Jeremiah is a very bitter angry man. Although it appears time and again that he cares for no one, least of all himself, his kind heart shows through here and there. I greatly sympathized with him, having been through a previous war he lost an arm because of his birth, and was always thought less of a man because he wasn't born British. This makes him extremely angry and sullen in life.
What I loved the most about this novel is the fact that the two characters, when brought together, ended up bringing out the best in each other. Even though they were definitely not fond of each other time and again, the ultimate result was heart-warming and I found myself in tears at the end of the novel. Another great factor was this novel bared all- the good and bad.
It is definitely a MUST-READ for all you historical fiction fans out there. Everything is researched well, and there's no character large or small that is un-believable. They are all brought to life in this novel.
This was my first novel by Siri Mitchell, but I can't wait to read more. This is going on my favorites shelf no question about that. This book definitely captured my attention, as well as my heart.

Check out my blog for more...

DISCLAIMER: I was provided this book for free through Bethany House Publishers in exchange for my unbiased review. Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Messenger.

05/06/2012 page 56
15.0% "This book just immediately drew me in. No waiting on the plot to thicken, it starts within the first few pages! I can't wait to see how things unfold."
show 10 hidden updates…