Kate Pritchard's Reviews > Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

F_50x66
May 01, 12

Read in April, 2012

Persepolis is about a girl growing up in war torn Iran. All she wants is to be herself and discover the truth. I really loved her personality she was very bold and brave and always challenging the world around her. This book gives really great insight to a place that, for Americans, is shrouded in mystery. I learned so much about Iran through Marjane and her family. This book has some really dark tough moments in it and you can really feel Marjane’s struggles to keep her identity in a country that wants everyone to look the same. She wants to listen to her music and wear what she wants to wear but in a country so strict like Iran it’s hard to do this. This is also an incredible story of coming of age, and its fun to watch Marjane grow into the young woman at the end of the book. I really liked how this book was in graphic novel form. The pictures are real bold in black and white and it’s makes in a really quick read. I read the whole thing in a day. The large panels are particularly powerful and add a great deal to the whole story. I would recommend this book to any comic book readers as well as young adults. This story is a bout growing up and leaving home and that’s something every young person will have to do at some point.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persepolis.