Sho's Reviews > The Valley Of Death

liked it
bookshelves: drama, historical, series
Recommended to Sho by: Dad
Read from May 01 to 13, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

As an avid reader of Sharpe, Hornblower and other historical novels, I was looking around for something else. My dad found Garry Kilworth, and passed the first 3 of the Jack Crossman novels to me when he'd finished them. Unfortunately, since they are out of print, it's proving almost impossible to get the 4th. But... this is number 2 so I still have time :)

As with the first Jack Crossman book (the Devil's Own) the main battle sort of passed me by and it was only when I'd gone past it I realised that the ill-fated sortie of the light brigade along the Valley of death is what I'd just read.

The detail of the battles is obviously meticulously researched and the story jogs along nicely with a plot and sub-plots aplenty as well as some interesting characters. I particularly like Lance Corporal Peterson and the American journalist.

At some point I'll read the 3rd in this series of 4 and in the meantime I'm searching for the 4th which is out of print (as are they all) and not to be found...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Valley Of Death.