Melissa's Reviews > The Wind Through the Keyhole

The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King

May 19, 15

Read in April, 2012

As The Dark Tower 4.5, this book sits right at the point in the series where, for me, it all went downhill. Too much time passed between books back then and the characters stopped being who they were and started being who Stephen King was telling me they were. From Wolves of the Calla on, I could never shake the picture in my head of King sitting behind the words, plinking on about commalas and positronics and swapping consonants needlessly for apostrophes. When he (view spoiler) that was it for me. I read those books once and I plan to never read them again (although I do contend that the very ending of the series is the best thing King ever could've done).

So this book becomes what it should be for me: a little story that I don't like as much as the first four books but I like better than the last three. I confess that I got frustrated & stopped reading the story within the story within the story (the real wind through the keyhole, that) & skipped ahead to see how it all turned out with the skin man. While I truly would've liked a lot more about teenage gunslinger Roland as opposed to Tim and his woes, when I did go back to Tim, it turned out better than I thought it would. Mainly this book is like an unexpected visit from a person I was friends with ages ago; we got together, talked for a bit about all the things we were into back in the day, and when they left I smiled fondly and got back to my real life.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind Through the Keyhole.

Jason Mattson I agree when King wrote himself into the story the DT took a downward turn. This book was a nice little DT appetizer. But I still believe King writing himself into the series is the most arrogant thing a writer has ever done.

message 2: by blake (last edited May 18, 2015 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

blake A spoiler warning would have gone appreciated. For the series, I mean. Thanks.

Melissa blake wrote: "A spoiler warning would have gone appreciated. For the series, I mean. Thanks."

Good god, you're right. Very sorry.