Connor Tinaglia's Reviews > The Great Wide Sea

The Great Wide Sea by M.H. Herlong

9197977
May 14, 12

Read from May 01 to 04, 2012

Ben, Dylan, and Gerry are still mourning their mother?s death when their dad decides to buy a boat and take them on a year-long sailing trip. Tensions flare between Ben and his father, but they gradually learn to live together in close quarters. But one morning, the boys wake up to discover their father has disappeared?and they are lost. What happened to him? Where are they? And what will they do when a treacherous storm looms on the horizon? M. H. Herlong spins a gripping tale of adventure, survival, and the bonds of brotherhood in The Great Wide Sea.

This is one of my favorite books of all time because it is almost like two stories because first the boys and their dad sail around the Caribbean in their very own sailboat which I've always wanted to do. Then they have to survive on a deserted tropical island in the middle of the ocean. I like this part of the book because i love reading survival stories and I've always wanted to do something kind of like that except my life isn't constantly at risk. The only thing i did not like about it was that the main character and oldest son ,Ben, is a real jerk to his dad and doesn't want to be there and that really bothered me. I think it bothered me so much because i was kind of thinking how can you not be grateful that your dad is taking you on a year long sailing vacation around the Caribbean? i like the writers style because it actually almost told three stories in one book. Their was the two other ones I mentioned earlier and their were alot of flashbacks that told the story of their childhood and how their mom died and what happened after that and how their dad came to decide to take them on this vacation. his writing style was descriptive so that you learned alot and could picture the events in your head but not too descriptive to the point of boring you. overall id say this is in my top ten favorite books and i wish it was longer so that i could keep reading more.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Wide Sea.