Sheridan's Reviews > This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

This Is How by Augusten Burroughs

May 19, 2012

bookshelves: self-help
Read in May, 2012

Let me start by saying that I've never read any other books by Augusten Burroughs. So I had no particular expectations for this book. I simply liked the title.

Once I started "This is How" I quickly became interested in the author and did a little online digging that included reading synopsis's and reviews of Burroughs' other books/memoirs. I learned that he's known for being very funny and that he's had an unusual and difficult life (understatement). You probably already knew this, but I didn't.

According to many of the reviews I've read, a lot of people are disappointed that this book just isn't funnier. So if you're someone who is expecting a good giggle from this read, stop. Quit reading. Because you'll just be disappointed. Burroughs is at times quite witty, but don't expect really funny. A couple other things you won't find... platitudes or affirmations; this is not your typical feel-good self-help book.

If, however, you are interested in a direct, frank (once or twice frightening), and even at times thoughtful approach to some of life's problems, then you might get something out of this book. After all, this is advice that is written by a guy who really has experienced a lot of pain in life. Except for one or two chapters that didn't feel totally genuine, you really do feel like Burroughs knows what he's talking about and really wants, in his own way, to help.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How.