Jennifer's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

May 11, 15

Read from April 16 to August 04, 2012 — I own a copy

Finally finished A Dance with Dragons. The thing with Martin is that he manages to capture your attention with certain events and then leaves you hanging until the next book to find out what happens. Even in the next book you might only get a smidget of what's going on. I was hoping to see more of the characters we had left off with in A Storm of Swords. Instad Martin manages yet again to introduce twenty-omething odd new characters and hardly mentions the old. However, his old characters also change in a way that it's a challenge to figure who is who. I was hoping to hear more of Bran, I vaguely remember when he was last seen. His sister Sansa as well, we see Arya a few times throughout the book. There's also Jamie Lannister who seems to gave just vanished into the blue. How long will I have to wait until the next installment? Will I even see the characters that I've grown a liking for? Or will Martin throw in a whole new batch???
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.

Quotes Jennifer Liked

George R.R. Martin
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”

George R.R. Martin
“Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born.”

George R.R. Martin
“Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me.” The fat man’s fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. “My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.”

George R.R. Martin
“Not all men were meant to dance with dragons.”

George R.R. Martin
“A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.”

George R.R. Martin
“The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother's milk. Darkness will make you strong.”

George R.R. Martin
“When you have known the kiss of a flaying knife, a laugh loses all its power to hurt you.”

George R.R. Martin
“These Kingsguard knights are as useless as nipples on a breastplate.”

George R.R. Martin
“Men live their lives trapped in an eternal present, between the mists of memory and the sea of shadow that is all we know of the days to come.”
tags: time

George R.R. Martin
“Contempt, thought Tyrion, the universal tongue.”

George R.R. Martin
“I rose too high, loved too hard, dared too much. I tried to grasp a star, overreached, and fell.”

George R.R. Martin
“Books are dead men talking.”
tags: books

George R.R. Martin
“Some allies are more dangerous than enemies.”

George R.R. Martin
“Men are men, vows are words, and words are wind.”
tags: vows

George R.R. Martin
“Jon wanted nothing more. No, he had to tell himself, those days are gone. The realization twisted in his belly like a knife. They had chosen him to rule. The Wall was his, and their lives were his as well. A lord may love the men that he commands, he could hear his lord father saying, but he cannot be a friend to them. One day he may need to sit in judgement on them, or send them forth to die.

05/01 page 82