Simon Turney's Reviews > The Forgotten Legion

The Forgotten Legion by Ben Kane

May 01, 12

The Forgotten Legion series is one of the strongest series set in ancient Rome that has been produced to date. The scope of the series in length of years, geographical reach, depth of character and intertwining some of the most tumultuous and important events in the history of he world with the life story of a small number of fictional characters is phenomenal. As a series, it is impossible not to pick up the next book and read on...

The first instalment (The Forgotten Legion) takes us into the backgrounds and history not only of the four principal characters that drive the story, but also of this complex time in the history of Rome, of the art of haruspicy (divination), of the Etruscans, the workings of the seedier side of the great city and more.

As the story develops we are treated to a vivid account of one of the most infamous battles in the history of Rome and its consequences. To my knowledge, Crassus' Parthian campaign is not well represented in historical fiction, and Ben has filled the gap with a masterful telling.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Legion.