Dyuti's Reviews > And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

May 02, 12

bookshelves: crime-thriller-mystery, ebook
Read from May 01 to 02, 2012

What makes a good mystery novel?

The author's skill and reputation in that genre? The setting? The crime? The ways of untangling the knot? Or is it simply surprising the reader with a twist in the tail, which will take her breath away at the sheer brilliance of the planning?

Even though the other factors matter in varying degrees of importance, I would personally lay the greatest weight on the last clause!

And that is what this book lacked.

But before that, let me say what i liked about the book.

1. The concept was wicked. In the sense that no matter how hard i tried to figure it out, it kept teasing me.
2. Though simply written (Quite a feat when nearly everyone strives to outdo the other), it grabs the reader's attention from the word "go", and is a really encouraging read for those who are new to enjoying reading as a hobby.
3. The way Christie built up the tension and should how fear and self-preservation can turn polished sophisticated individuals into savage animals.

The Plot

The story starts off with a group of ten random sundry men and women who are invited to spend a weekend at the Indian Island, by a mysterious millionaire Mr. U.N.Owen (pun: can be pronounced as Un-Known). They arrive, only to find themselves cut off from the mainland, and a killer amongst them, who finishes off his/her victims before the rest can even start figuring out his/her patterns or reasons.

Its a race against time for the survivors where everyone views this other as his potential enemy. This part was really cleverly done, and the suspense kept soaring higher and higher, making it a complete entertainer!

BUT.

The Ending!

Oh why oh why?
Of course there is nothing so remarkably wrong with it, but was it really necessary to (view spoiler). I mean, we were encouraged to think that all along. Maybe I've grown so conditioned to endings which will make my jaw drop, that i was expecting a 'OMG I'd never thought of it in this way" rather than "Yeah so which one of them did it?"

I know, its my problem. I'm reading the author's work exactly 73 years after it was written so i guess the novelty of the idea has worn off a bit due to the passage of time. I mean we literally feed on mysteries and crime thrillers all the time. So I guess I judged the books along those lines.

However, it was still a good read, and maybe someday I will read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then There Were None.

05/01/2012 page 12
05/01/2012 page 54
21.0% 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Srinivas (last edited May 02, 2012 11:30PM) (new) - added it

Srinivas in my sense its a great thriller, bocz when this book is published, i am sure no body could thought of such a wicked story.

now u have read the story, if u can watch the movie "MindHunters", its a modern adaption of this story.

PS: u posted this review 4 in the morning???

Dyuti I agree with you. At the point when it came out it must have been great! And even now its not bad. As i said in the review, its my fault that because i was expecting much more, that i was a little disappointed, but i guess it would be unfair to blame it on the author.

And yes, i read all night and then felt too restless to sleep until i wrote the review! I do stay up nights. So all my friends call me an OWL! :P

message 3: by Srinivas (last edited May 04, 2012 08:10PM) (new) - added it

Srinivas Dyuti wrote: "I agree with you. At the point when it came out it must have been great! And even now its not bad. As i said in the review, its my fault that because i was expecting much more, that i was a little ..."

"NIGHT OWL" is more precise and suits u well, i think

David Jebaraj @Dyuti: Good review.. thought same as you about ending, which could have been better.. Indeed I enjoyed reading, as I'm fond of creepy/mystery stuffs.. suggest some good mystery novels please.. Thanks

Dyuti @David: Sorry for the late reply. This is a very wide genre, so a little difficult to recommend. Maybe you could check out The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, considering you have not read it. Also, if you are in the mood for some good mystery, there is always Arthur Conan Doyle. For thrillers, check out this list