Jessica's Reviews > The Last Princess

The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze

May 02, 12

Read from May 01 to 02, 2012

The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze

I should probably start off by saying that as of this moment, I’m no longer speaking to my mother. What was she thinking naming me Jessica when she could have named me Galaxy. I can honestly state that my biggest motivation for buying this book, initially, was because it seemed incredibly cool to have a book by someone named ‘Galaxy Craze’ on my bookshelf. I’m being serious, too.

There’s more, of course, to The Last Princess than just the author’s completely awesome name.

Taking place several years into the future, the book is told from the point of view of Eliza, a princess of England. The England we know is replaced by a disaster ridden, darker world after a series of natural disasters decimates the world.

Following the usual pattern of dystopian YA fiction, things are tough. Food is luxury and there people out there who are willing to do, and eat, anything to survive.

If things weren’t bad enough, someone out there is trying to overthrow the crown! After a violent attack on the palace, sixteen year old Eliza is the only royal that manages to escape.

Determined to exact revenge on the man who killed her family, Eliza joins the enemy forces, in disguise. There, she meets a person who hands her back the hope she’s lost…

I sort of have mixed feelings about this book. As a rule, I try not to give too harsh of reviews, mainly because I don’t really feel like it’s my job to rip apart something that someone actually put something into. As a whole, The Last Princess wasn’t a bad book. In fact, it was a decent read. I didn’t have to force my way through it, which is usually a good sign.

The good things about The Last Princess

It has a really interesting plot. It was nice to see a dystopian novel taking place somewhere other than America. In a way, the entire thought process was different, which intrigued me.

I honestly liked the characters. Eliza was a good character, strong. Despite being slightly confused at her pathway to doing what she had to do to get what she needed done, I found her quite enjoyable.
The length. Normally, I don’t mind long books. But with the plot of this book, I’m glad it ended swiftly, rather than dragging it out.

The bad things about The Last Princess

The Characters.

In general, I liked Eliza and Wesley. The biggest problem I had with them was that I felt like despite them being the main characters in the story, they weren’t well rounded. I sort of felt like the characters were holding back the entire time, hiding something of themselves that was vital to the telling of the story.

A lot was left unexplained. During parts of the story, I found myself wondering things like, “why do the people in the woods eat people? Did they just wake up one day and decide to start hunting humans, or was it something like a ‘I had no other choice, I was starving to death and he was dying’ sort of thing” or “what made Wesley want to do this? What’s his motivation?” As a person who firmly believes that characters drive the story, I was slightly disappointed that the some of the characters didn’t really have a lot of leg to stand on.

The story itself was a little bit lacking. Not in a so bad I couldn’t read it way, but sometimes it moved to fast. Things happened that didn’t make sense, decisions made without any real explanation as to why it’s a good decision to be made. A lot of moments in the stories, like Eliza joining the enemy forces seemed so planned, not a quick decision made by a desperate girl who’s just lost her family and is out for revenge against the people who took them away.

The fluidity of the book hit a couple rough patches at times, but overall, it wasn’t so horrible.

The worst part, I think, is that there will be a sequel. Maybe it’s just me. I’m going through a stage when I wish I could find a decent YA book that doesn’t have a sequel to it. In a way, despite what I didn’t like about it, it seemed like a whole story. It had a beginning, middle, and end. I don’t see a reason to keep going.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a quick read, then this definitely the book for you. It’s cute, in a fun way, but nothing epic (in the land of dystopia, where a book like the hunger games are leading the pack in the awesome department, I honestly believe that it’s a lot to live up to).

3 stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Princess.

05/01/2012 page 156