Jess Scott's Reviews > Undercurrent

Undercurrent by Jen Minkman

May 05, 12

I've mentioned the 'book cover' in my past two reviews and will mention it YET again here (after all, it *is* important!)--I am very impressed with Jen Minkman's painting for the book cover. It is like an extension and a visual 'glimpse' to the artistic mind of the poet, before we get to reading the actual text in the poetry (which adds an even more personal kind of touch to the poetry collection, which I like, since poetry is a rather personal affair).

I noticed one of the reviewers here on Amazon.com said that Jen Minkman "writes like a machine gun," which is an apt description! The poems are short which kind of captures the intensity of the emotions being expressed. I especially liked "shoot me / shoot me"--the sound of it, the way it looked, the length of the poem, the message, everything about it was so very precise.

'Sun', 'Desire', and 'No fury like me' were some of the ones I enjoyed immensely too. And I like the poem that ended the Undercurrent collection too. Out of all the poems that appear in the collection, it was definitely the best one to leave the reader with, to ponder and savour. It makes us remember what is important in life, and to respect our inner needs and aspirations. That's what I took away from the last piece ;) I'm thankful for having had the luxurious opportunity to witness the 'Undercurrent'--AKA 'the reason' that Ms. Minkman writes poetry!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undercurrent.