Tami's Reviews > Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

May 01, 12

bookshelves: 2013

Lina is a 15 year old whose only worry is will she be accepted in the art school she desparately wants to go to. That is until the Soviet officers barge into her home and take her mother, her and her brother away to prison camps in the coldest regions of the nation. They are forced to labor for the Soviets and have to endure the harshest treatments. Lina finds a getaway in her art. She draws pictures and sends them to her father, in hopes that he will be able to find the clues and rescue them.

WOW! What a great book. I read everything I could get my hands on regarding the Holocaust back when I was probably way too young to be reading that, and this book was wonderful in the way it was written for a younger crowd. It alluded to horrible things, but didn't describe in detail, so that younger readers would be able to read and not get nightmares. It isn't Germany and the Nazi camps, it is the Baltic States and the Soviet Union, but it reads the same way. The author did really well making a fictional account seem realistic and true to history. Well done. Can't wait for her next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Shades of Gray.