Clarissa Draper's Reviews > The Color Purple

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

May 09, 2012

bookshelves: other-literature, the-classics-club
Read from May 01 to 09, 2012

Warning: In the book is some swearing and disturbing scenes of abuse.

The Color Purple is about a woman named Celie and it spans about thirty years of the character's life. And boy, did she live a life. The novel is written as Celie talks and because of that, a lot of the words are spelled wrong. Although you have to get used to the wording, in no time you'll be hearing the character's voice and even after you put the book down, be speaking like her as well.

I've never lived anything like the character's life and in some ways found it difficult to understand the abuse. That being said, I know that for women back then, there wasn't a choice in husbands or careers or children--not like today.

The character evolves from weak to strong and that's what makes it such an uplifting story. People can get out of a horrible situation. It's worth the read.

One feature I loved with the Kindle (and I'm not sure it's with the paperback copy or not) is the photos of Walker, her friends and family. It was nice to read about her life and how active she is in the rights of minorities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color Purple.