Lorretta's Reviews > Waiting for Sunrise

Waiting for Sunrise by William Boyd

May 01, 12

Read on May 01, 2012

I received this book through the GoodReads Giveaway. This is my first book that I have read by William Boyd. I will definitely be looking to read others!

The author has such a smooth, effortless writing style; it is truly as if he is painting with words.

In this book, we meet Lysander who is an actor of some acclaim. His father was a much more famous actor. Lysander is in Vienna to meet with a doctor who is hopefully going to help him with a sexual matter. During one of his sessions, we learn that Lysander ruined someone's life by lying about an incident that never occurred. Even though it is just a tiny blurb, the entire story can be traced back to how someone else's lie has totally changed Lysander's life. Reap what you sow, karma, etc...

We follow Lysander through his cure, a passionate affair, a shocking accusation and the resulting choices that he is forced to make.

I don't want to give too much of the book away because it is an absolute delight to understand the layers of personalities, passions, deceit. Each of the characters are memorable, so different and yet Lysander still stands out as the main headliner.

If you haven't read any of William Boyd's books, I strongly encourage you to do so. He is truly a modern writing artist.

This is not generally the type of book that I gravitate towards and probably wouldn't have even checked it out of the library, but what a revelation!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for Sunrise.