Tanner F's Reviews > After

After by Amy Efaw

F_50x66
May 01, 12

After By Amy Efaw is about Devon Davenport, and what she went through after making the worst decision she could ever think of. Devon was a regular 15 year old girl. Always an honor roll student, captain and goalie on several soccer teams, she was driven to do good. Until “IT” happened, “IT” changed everything about her, “IT” was so mortifying and humiliating that she decided not to tell anyone. She would not even let herself believe it was true, she was in complete denial, pretending like it didn’t happen. Devon started pushing everyone away from her, her best friend, her soccer team, even her mom. “‘Why couldn’t you tell me, Devon? I’m your mother! Why couldn’t you just tell me?’ Can’t you see? she wants to say. I couldn’t even tell myself.” (Efaw 306) Then that morning came, she thought she could just get rid of it, hide it and nobody would know. They did know, they found out and now Devon is in a juvenile detention center for it, she is facing a possible life sentence for what happened. Will Devon find a way to fix this and go back to the good girl she used to be, or will she be charged as guilty for life?

I liked this book a lot. I always wanted to keep reading more because I wanted to know what was going to happen next. Something interesting was always going on. The ending of the book surprised me a lot, I didn’t see it coming but it made it even more interesting.

Overall, I gave this book a five out of five. I recommend this to other people who like realistic fiction. It teaches you that there are consequences for all your actions, even if you didn’t mean to do anything harm in the first place. “Devon had earned the penalty against her. She must face it.” (Efaw 348)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. Pirkl (new)

Mr. Pirkl This review makes me think this book is similar to Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, Have you read that?
Good job,